Magician's MMORPG Post

This topic contains 39 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  magician2905 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Snowpelt
    Keymaster

Posted here for reference!
    Just a quick bio – Asheron’ Call (didn’t play EQ), switched to the beleaguered AC2 when it came out – was such a shame cos all they really had to do was update AC with the graphics engine of AC2 with some other revamps and they would have had a sure fire winner! I guess selling the AC franchise to Microsoft (i think) was probably a bad idea but im sure there were many factors involved not least a big cash injection to allow them to develop/recover costs for AC2.
    Pretty much every mmo since then;
    WoW – Beta tested and played for many many years, just recently quit playing again (WoD) – game just feels stale and grindy once again after a few months.
    AoC Beta and played for a while but post release gave up as the open PVP ganking just ruined the game totally (its totally pointless to try and play a game where toons 10-40 lvls higher than me are just chain ganking)
    TSW was pretty fun for a while, some of the puzzles requiring REALLY REALLY deep thought and investigation were and still are epic!
    ESO, ~kinda~ meh…. balance issues kinda ruined it from launch – plus odd style of combat….heading back to check it out this Tues/Weds when it goes B2P to see if they have addressed the issues (still undecided whether they pulled it off – although the skill morphing system is pretty interesting).
    Neverwinter disappointing from a “dyed in the wool old school pen & paper D&D fanboy” along with D&D Online
    LOTRO – probably one of the most beautiful in game “vista’s” ever!
    Archeage – complete FUBAR over botting/hacking/exploits and totally ridiculous crafting system – it has its good points in places but requiring me to grind for mats for 2 months to get gear is just poor time Vs reward implementation.
    GW1 – wasn’t for me – GW2 enjoyed it but too many bugs post release remained for far too long, but still have a fondness for it.
    Firefall (scifi mmorpg/fps) longest ever Beta and most radically changed game I have ever seen from one iteration to another. Seems they may be on the right track finally but only time will tell.
    Warhammer Online – omg NEVER let the lead designer be able to play a single class – Bright Wizard (lead developers fave class) ruined the game from the get go, followed by Warrior Priest.

Rift – played beta and from launch – hit max level 14 days after start (took my time to clear the whole map on first run through) lasted maybe 5 months then quit playing. Went back beginning of 2014 and had tonnes of fun for few more months – kinda like the fact that each class has the option of all roles Tank/Heal/Support/DPS keeps the classes more readily balanced and gives you the option to play each role if required.
    There are lots of others im sure i missed.
    Lessons learned:
    1) DO NOT build a game where the time to max level is LESS THAN 2-3MONTHS or your gonna loose people quickly and also from the inevitable grind post cap.
    Plus your making life difficult for yourselves if you do cos its much harder to inject the new “Fresh” feeling back into the game once you have capped.
    2) Have a plan already in place to address the issue of max level Vs grind once at cap
    Rift’s Planar Attunement System and ESO’s Champion System are pretty good post lvl cap methods to add more interest and less grind.

Dailies are NOT a rewarding system, but can be a functional system if implemented in different stages – see point (7)
    3) Get the class balance as close to perfect FROM THE START, your game and developer life will be immeasurably simpler and generally better if you can!
    Good things to avoid are the Bright Wizard and Warrior Priest situations experienced in Warhammer Online, which despite there being “opposite” classes for the other faction never got close in reality to same level of paucity.
    Great article here:
    http://www.alteredgamer.com/warhammer-online/44427-what-went-wrong-with-is-it-a-failure/
    The upshot being that IF YOU CAN’T balance classes under the “Class Mirror” system just fall back to a single set of classes available to everyone, you can always add more classes to the game from the start or later post release…..
    The Holy Trinity of Tank/Heal/DPS should really be expanded to include true support classes and/or support/buff/debuff classes – so a Holy Quartet or Holy Quintet….
    4) Time Vs reward – if it takes sooooo long to get/craft something that it isn’t fun, it isn’t a winning formula!
    eg. WoW epic ring upgrade takes 900 Runes which takes something like 4-8 weeks to get depending on your raiding level (more time if your lower level raiding Vs less time if your more geared and raiding @ HC/Mythic levels). BUT its possible to RNG random loot that makes this obsolete or at least a diminishing reward if your raiding at those levels anyway…..
    5) Quests, try and script quests so that they HAVE to be READ/Listened too – it makes the game more engaging. Many ppl may disagree but in my experience people don’t really KNOW what they want.
    Making quests circuitous and requiring many steps IS actually fun and ultimately rewarding, adding in a crafting quest/requirement like having someone craft it or having to unlock a part of an instance to get to the crafting station required to make it is also fantastic.
    Avoid instanced quests as much as possible – ESO for example is terrible @ this!
    6) Crafting should be a primary asset and not a tertiary thought to any class.
    Community gathering/harvesting is GREAT!
    Separate gear load outs for Adventuring/Crafting/Gathering is nice too!

7) Zones – no one like a dead town, make your game so that there are reasons to continually revisit zones which were traditionally LOWER LEVEL
    For example make low level towns/zones have content which only unlocks @ higher level tiers so that there is a continual influx of people into that area for different reasons.
    Whether that is instances, unique events or perhaps new dailies or Reputation quests unlocked @ higher tiers.
    8) DO NOT, EVER EVER!!, allow client side services run game critical elements or you will create a hack to win game – ArcheAge – if in doubt make it server side.
    9) Combat, its really, REALLY HARD to come up with new combat ideas. Tab targeting is pretty old hat, but tried and tested and game mechanics are much easier to calculate off of this.
    Something like Darkfall is much more complicated, not necessarily less rewarding, but the FPS is likely a barrier to many people deciding to play the game.
    10) PVP – is insanely hard to balance.
    Biggest issues are:
    Balance
    Stealth
    Crowd Control/Stuns/Roots etc
    Blocking
    Immunities
    Gearing
    11) Instances, fixed mechanics on bosses is kinda tiresome. Do this when X does that repeat, repeat etc etc etc – introducing some randomness to the encounters would be a breath of fresh air! Maybe a pool of abilities with some linked to others which can randomly occur during a fight would keep players on their toes and keep it fun cos your never quite sure what order things are going to happen.
    The “proving grounds” introduced in WoW WoD are very good, mostly keeps complete idiots out of your individual game, so your game play time is generally more fun. Could be expanded to different tiers or difficulties of dungeons/raids.
    I get the Utherous name but agree with some of the other guys comments – searching Utherous is just BAD!
    Sorry for the insanely long post, hope there are some useful points in there for you guys

magician2905
    Participant

Hey, good afternoon!!
    Just a fyi – even after you log in it still looks like you need to log in – i.e. there is no on screen notification that you are actually logged in just says “Log In/Register” in top right.
    Think i prolly logged in twice before i realised that

magician2905
    Participant

Guessing you have some sort of moderation before posts show up (least i hope that’s what it is) cos my hello post isnt showing, but if i go back a couple of pages its says i replied to the original post….

Snowpelt
    Keymaster

Welcome Magician and thanks for working with us!

I should have the Welcome! XXXXX/Log out. conditional based on log in status up and running tonight 🙂

I see the same thing with the posting. I will take a look and see if there’s a box that needs to be unchecked!

Snowpelt
    Keymaster

It looks like it may be a cacheing issue. Logging out and back in seems to fix it..

This is a test post 🙂

magician2905
    Participant

Just read through the copious amount of prose I have written and realised that it may come across as me telling you what to do. Please note that is not the case in any way, shape or form. Its simply me putting in words what I, in my opinion, would think would be great to see in a game with some of the experiences and shortfalls of games I have played and if you ignore everything that I have written that is still COOL, after all its YOUR game! 8-P

Open World PVP

Serial ganking is such a turn off for many people that it will inevitably disrupt the enjoyment of the game you designed and ultimately will drive them away (or prevent them from even bothering to play)!

Possible solutions:

1) PVP NPC’s in Towns – so you visit the NPC to be flagged for PVP across the entire world – this is attractive as it opens up the game to both PVP and PVE players and allows both to get the enjoyment they anticpated/expected, plus if you want to PVP you can simply Flag yourself and then Unflag if you have had enough.
    2) Split Zones – PVE/PVP specific zones – not ideal if your wanting to go “OPEN World PVP”
    3) Some kind of flag, internally, preventing you from attacking players below a certain “level” threshold below you – eg 5 levels (but whatever)
    4) Some kind of debuff if you kill players below a certain threshold: i.e. if you kill someone 5 lvls below you are Kill on Sight to all NPC’s for 1-5hours (IN GAME play time), 10 lvls below 3-7 hrs, etc etc reason for IN GAME TIME is to prevent people from simply logging out to wind down the timers whilst offline.
    5) Factions – Race(Nationalities)/Realm/Guild – allows for strong PVP elements to be designed initially but also allows for good game play elements.
    Its common for Races (Nationalities) to dislike each other, but the game world could be designed so that there are areas of cross over.
    For example Elfs and Dwarves don’t usually like each other and should you be playing an elf and head to the Dwarven lands/cities you would be liable to be killed. BUT you could have areas at the fringes of the societies/lands where Elfs and Dwarves DO mix and have quest lines that increase your reputation with the Dwarves that will, eventually, give you enough Rep with Dwarves to be able to head into the Dwarven towns without risk. Why would you do this? Well perhaps the Dwarves want a certain type of resource that can only be found in the Elven lands readily giving you a better return on the Crafted or Gathered materials. BUT PVP killing Dwarves reduces your Rep which can only be regained by doing Rep quests back in the fringe societies (or perhaps trading with those Dwarves in that area, but with reduced benefits, ie less cash). This could be used as a sort of Merchant Wholesaler for an Auction House – better Rep means you can Trade in Dwarf towns and the merchants take a smaller slice of the profits.
    So the path to AH (for an Elf) would be:
    Main Dwarf City Merchant – 10% Cut, 90% Profit
    Outer City Dwarf Merchant – 15% Cut, 85% Profit
    Fringe City Dwarf Merchant – 20% Cut, 80% Profit
    You would have an “Own Race Merchant/AH” that perhaps had a bigger cut (insert money sink)
    Elf Main City (for ELF) – 40% Cut, 60% Profit
    Elf Outer City (for ELF) – 30% Cut, 70% Profit
    Elf Fringe City (For ELF) – 25% Cut, 75% Profit
    You could be More or Less draconian with the %’s depending on what you feel is the necessary money sink in game.

I would probably build in a Race and Rep lockout though.

What I mean by this is, and using Elves/Dwarves/Gnomes as an example, is that if you decide to be an Elf the account would only allow you to create Elf Characters, Moon/Blood/Wild/Star/Sun/Wood etc (or Dwarf/Gnome X/X/X/X) and the Rep is tied to the Account rather than the Character (meaning that in some dynamic the Elves you create are all related somehow).
    This prevents people from creating Trading Toons/Bots that bypass the system to obtain increased rewards. So if you create a new character it automatically gains the familial Reputation towards other races/nationalities. If you REALLY, REALLY want to “game the system” you would have to create and level a new character on a NEW account to obtain the benefits.

I would also, in the same sort of example, only allow an Elf to be “Revered” (Best Rep) with EITHER the Dwarves OR the Gnomes and consequently you could only get to a “just about tolerated” Rep with the other Race. This would limit your trading ability with the Realms Merchant NPC’s so that you could only trade in the Fringe societies, meaning that you would have to work to increase your reputation with the other race if the market was more (or less) favourable, but at the same time be decreasing your existing reputation with the currently Revered rep Race/Nationality.

This would create an ebb and flow on the market/ah and could even be affected by the populations of the races so that if there were less Gnomes than Dwarves or Elves the Merchants/AH would give you greater rewards for trading items (ie take a smaller % cut of the profits)

Realm Factions – again lets use Elf/Dwarf and add in Gnomes to the mix.
    Realm “Wars” could be simply Elf V Dwarf V Gnome, or any combination.
    OR it could be variable.
    So say Elves have been doing well now the Gnomes and Dwarves decide to go to war against the Elves, putting aside their differences for a time, until the Elves are in the descendant. At this point the Gnomes and Dwarves fall out and perhaps now the Gnomes and Elves band together against the Dwarves. It adds a nice, and slightly unusual, dynamic in RvR.
    I would shy away from having the RvR have any affect on Reputation, and the possibility of affecting the AH dynamic, and probably have a different RvR Rep pool though.

Guild V Guild
    Its not unusual to have Guilds fighting Guilds. But perhaps allowing multiple Guilds to group together against other guilds/guild groups prevents the dynamic of massive guilds ruling everything. Putting a total member cap on the guild group. Lets use for example 1000 people – this could be one guild with 1000 members or 4 Guilds with 250 members each or any combination (i would probably have an automatic “Active” flag in the guild roster if the PChar had logged in within a week and probably some kind of leeway on the 1000 limit – say +/-15%……)
    It would be pretty awesome to build it something like this;
    Guild Housing Areas – Castle/Towns/Villages – separate on the map from other areas i.e. their own maps.
    “General” players are allowed into those areas for questing/pvping and selling/basic crafting AS LONG AS they aren’t currently involved in a GvG that includes one (or more) of the guilds that own those current locations.
    Guild Leaders can decide who they group with and which guilds/guild groups they can attack.
    A Guild/G.Group would have to capture ALL the Villages then ALL Towns and ultimately the Castle then all the members of the Guild/G.Group gain shared access to special crafting stations in the castle for a period of time (lets say a week just for example).
    Guilds/G.Groups would naturally attempt to conquer the villages/towns/castle to gain access creating a pretty hectic GvG scenario.
    After a week, assuming they are not captured by a different Guild/G.Group those Villages/Towns and Castle become neutral again and are re-populated with Neutral NPC’s which would have to be killed/captured once again to gain access to the Castle.
    Now the Guild/G.Group need to decide whether they will maintain the current alliance and re-conquer the area or attack a new area, owned by a different Guild/G.Group, to gain access to the crafting stations or whether to form new alliances.
    No Guild can “own” more than one castle at any time regardless of whether they were in a Guild Group or not.

You could also have some kind of taxation system where a small % of all vendor sales, in a conquered area, are split between the Guild(s) that currently have ownership – this could be used specifically for the purchase of Seige Equipment/Hiring NPC’s to assist in conquering areas (also available to purchase in game but with high costs so that Guilds have to pool cash and/or resources to be able to afford them).

Guilds

Personally, i’m a fan of systems that reward guilds and members for pro-active work. Guild hierarchies should be more than just Leader/Office/Members.
    I can’t recall which game it was but I do remember a game whereby your rank was determined by the number of recruits you had recruited.
    So within the guild structure there was a Guild Leader and Officers there was also a ranking system so the more people you had recruited the more benefits you personally received.
    Guild formation would be by purchase of a Guild Charter from an NPC and a minimal requirement of people to sign the charter.

Something like Supreme for the Guild Leader, Officers for the trusted people and then below that you automatically gain the following ranks based upon your work in recruitment:
    Satrap King – 4 Captains (X people)
    Captain – 4 Knights (X people)
    Knights – 4 Squires (X people)
    Squire – 4 Recruits
    Recruit – 3 or less Member’s recruited
    Member (base rank)
    So you have a Pyramid Structure of people in the guild below you rank and possibly many different pyramids below a single Guild Leader.
    In effect you could be the Guild Leader but still only a “Recruit” as you only had 3 people in the guild.
    You could also be a Satrap King, with “lesser” Satrap Kings below you.
    The benefit to being active in recruitment is that you get a small tithe of the value of the gold looted by each person below you.
    The drawback is that if you don’t actively help that person (and their recruits) they may jump ship completely and/or form their own guild.
    For those considering splintering they have a number of issues to consider – discussion with the people below them and whether they would accept the formation of a new guild. Just how many people would actively bring their recruits with them and whether any individuals would simply go back to the original, or a leave and join a new guild entirely.
    Keeps guilds both active and helps prevent many of the issues that exist within guilds in many mmo’s.
    Hopefully you understand what i mean by all that……

Combat/Hit Boxes

New game just in Alpha – from the video it has an interesting take on “Hit Boxes”. Each part of the body has a hit box
    So i guess you could work out total health from, say, Stamina and then assign a percentage to each part of the body so:-
    Total Health – 100%
    Head – 10%
    Body – 52%
    Arms – 7% each (14%)
    Legs – 12% each (24%)
    You could use something similar to those percentages with regards to chance to hit specific areas and would additionally allow for % chance to miss entirely OR hit the next closest part of the body so:-
    Head – 10% chance to hit, 60% chance to miss, 30% chance to hit Body instead
    Body – 42% chance to hit, 28% chance to miss, 4% chance to hit Head, 22% chance to hit Arms, 4% chance to to hit Legs
    Legs – 24% chance to hit, 50% chance to miss, 15% chance to hit Arms, 11% chance to hit Body

Armour

You could then assign an Armour Value to each piece of armour – not sure if you intend to have any sort of Encumbrance system in game – but this would allow you to mix pieces of different armour and allow for some amazing customisation of players characters!
    Imagine a sort of Roman Gladiator – where you fight with 1 Hand and Shield, the shield clearly gives a good % of armour to say, Body & Left OR Right Arm + possibly a lesser % to Head and Legs, so you could wear lighter armour on the Shield Arm and Heavier Armour on the Weapon Hand.
    In that example i might wear just Cloth/leather Armour on my Shield Arm, maybe Plate on Chest, Plate on my Weapon Arm and Plate on my Legs and Head.
    Whilst I would be well protected when I was expecting combat, eg have my Sword and Shield out ready, if I was just running around I would normally have those items Sheathed/Stowed so I could be susceptible to unexpected Ranged attacks, if they happen to hit my Shield Arm and damage it enough I wouldn’t be able to equip my shield and would have to fight with only my 1 Hand Weapon.
    However, say I intended to mostly be a ranged type character I might wear a Plate/Heavy Chest piece but then wear all light armour (or a mix of mostly light with some medium armour pieces) everywhere else cos my accuracy isn’t degraded by the same amount as Heavy types.

Heavy

– Kasten-brust, Plate + Light Armour (under shirts),

Medium Heavy

– Plate, Metal Scale (Lamellar),

Light Heavy

– Brigandine, Jazerant, Wooden Scale (Lamellar)

Medium

– Ring Mail, Cour Bouilli,

Light Medium

– Studded Leather, Leather Scale (Lamellar)

Medium Light

– Medium Leather, Quilted Cloth

Light Armour

– Cloth (Hemp/Flax/Silk)

Armour can be an amazing part of the game if designed well, regardless of decisions regarding Hit Boxes, character customisation is really important to probably 90% of the market as it allows for individuality and by having separate pieces of armour it opens up;
    Crafting Options – armour types, pieces, Dyes for Cloth/Leather Armour, Dyes for face/body painting!!, the decision about the types of metal scales you use (Copper/Bronze/Iron,Steel, maybe aluminium, PLUS unique mats – Mithril, Adamantium etc etc), plus you could add a component to blacksmithing that allows you to make metal armours/weapons that are different colours (endless lists….)

Armour Factors

Different types of armours may be better against certain types of attacks.

Plate

Might be good against Swords in general but bad against Rapiers/Sabres (if you have the skill to use them ACCURATELY)
    but bad against Bludgeoning attacks, 1H Maces, 1H Morningstars, 2 Handed Swords/Axes/Maces, good against Ranged Weapons in general but bad against certain specialty Arrows, perhaps bad against Crossbows @ close range but ok at medium to long range, good against Short Bows in general (excepting specialty arrows) but bad against Long Bows @ all ranges…… again the list of decisions is mind melting!

Medium

The benefits/drawbacks would differ depending on what it was specifically

Light

The benefits/drawbacks would differ depending on what it was but in general would be better against Bludgeoning and poor against piercing/slashing

Combat Factors

Sort of already touched on this several times.
    You could have some sort of Accuracy ability, starts at 0% but as you level up/progress you can increase it for different types of weapons, allowing the unlocking of use of more specialised weapons as you progress.
    So everyone would be able to pick up a Staff/Club/Sword/Axe/Mace/Dagger/Bow/Basic Crossbow but as your skill progressed you would unlock Different Types of those Weapons – Batleth (Bladed Staff), Flail (Split Staff linked with chain to another smaller piece of wood/metal), Rapier, Sabre, Morning Star (type of mace linked by chain to spiked ball), Nun-Chucks, Short Bow, Long Bow, Recurve Bow, Compound Bow (Short/Recurve/Long), Cross Bow with enhanced Range/faster reload times (from reload mechanisms), Repeating Crossbow, Arbalest (this is an extra large Xbow with a stand that is used to support the weight – has long range + higher damage but is VERY slow to reload and weighs ALOT!)
    These all link nicely back to crafting too!

Encumbrance

Adding an Encumbrance/Weight system would allow for decisions to be made by the player:
    All/Mostly Heavy Armour is great for Damage protection but bad for Run Speed and/or Endurance
    Medium Armour gives a balance to all things
    Light Armour allows for faster Run Speed, perhaps better accuracy with Ranged Weapons
    Wearing heavy armour on the arms might reduce your accuracy with all weapons (cos its heavier) but have less impact on Body/Legs
    But wearing heavy leg armour might just affect your run speed (along with general weight/encumbrance performance affects)
    Wearing a heavy helmet might also affect your accuracy but only with Ranged Weapons perhaps due to, typical, visibility loss.

If you want any more ideas/thoughts just say so – hopefully there are some good items in there to help you………

magician2905
    Participant

Yeah all seems to be good now – posts showing up “mostly” ok sorry for the weird formatting……………….

magician2905
    Participant

Seems Italics in the format section is defaulting to <.em> and <./em> rather than <.i> ignore the dots!

magician2905
    Participant

**Note** Please delete the first post there were lots of html errors (your wordpress uses some strange codes for things like Bold/Italics/Links by default – tidied them up in Notepad++ so they should all read ok, I hope) **

Just read through the copious amount of prose I have written and realised that it may come across as me telling you what to do. Please note that is not the case in any way, shape or form. Its simply me putting in words what I, in my opinion, would think would be great to see in a game with some of the experiences and shortfalls of games I have played and if you ignore everything that I have written that is still COOL, after all its YOUR game! 8-P

<b><u>Open World PVP</u></b>
    Serial ganking, which Open World PVP mostly encourages (and <b><u>rarely</b></u> are there checks in place to discourage it) is such a turn off for many people that it will inevitably disrupt the enjoyment of the game you designed and ultimately will drive them away (or prevent them from even bothering to play)!

Possible solutions:

1) PVP NPC’s in Towns – so you visit the NPC to be flagged for PVP across the entire world – this is attractive as it opens up the game to both PVP and PVE players and allows both to get the enjoyment they anticipated/expected, plus if you want to PVP you can simply Flag yourself and then Unflag if you have had enough.

2) Split Zones – PVE/PVP specific zones – not ideal if your wanting to go “OPEN World PVP”

3) Some kind of flag, internally, preventing you from attacking players below a certain “level” threshold below you – eg 5 levels (but whatever)

4) Some kind of debuff if you kill players below a certain threshold: i.e. if you kill someone 5 lvls below you are Kill on Sight to all NPC’s for 1-5hours (<b>IN GAME play time</b>), 10 lvls below 3-7 hrs, etc etc reason for <i>IN GAME TIME</i> is to prevent people from simply logging out to wind down the timers whilst offline.

<b><u>PVP Types</u></b>
    Factions – Race(Nationalities)/Realm/Guild – allows for strong PVP elements to be designed initially but also allows for good game play elements.

<b>Racial (National) Factions</b>
    Its common for Races (Nationalities) to dislike each other, but the game world could be designed so that there are areas of cross over.
    For example Elfs and Dwarves don’t usually like each other and should you be playing an elf and head to the Dwarven lands/cities you would be liable to be killed. BUT you could have areas at the fringes of the societies/lands where Elfs and Dwarves DO mix and have quest lines that increase your reputation with the Dwarves that will, eventually, give you enough Rep with Dwarves to be able to head into the Dwarven towns without risk. Why would you do this? Well perhaps the Dwarves want a certain type of resource that can only be found in the Elven lands readily giving you a better return on the Crafted or Gathered materials. BUT PVP killing Dwarves reduces your Rep which can only be regained by doing Rep quests back in the fringe societies (or perhaps trading with those Dwarves in that area, but with reduced benefits, ie less cash). This could be used as a sort of Merchant Wholesaler for an Auction House – better Rep means you can Trade in Dwarf towns and the merchants take a smaller slice of the profits.
    You would have an “Own Race Merchant/AH” that perhaps had a bigger cut (insert money sink)
    You could be More or Less draconian with the %’s depending on what you feel is the necessary money sink in game.

What I mean by this is, and using Elves/Dwarves/Gnomes as an example, is that if you decide to be an Elf the account would only allow you to create Elf Characters, Moon/Blood/Wild/Star/Sun/Wood etc (or Dwarf/Gnome X/X/X/X) and the Rep is tied to the Account rather than the Character (meaning that in some dynamic the Elves you create are all related somehow).
    This prevents people from creating Trading Toons/Bots that bypass the system to obtain increased rewards. So if you create a new character it automatically gains the familial Reputation towards other races/nationalities. If you REALLY, REALLY want to “<i>game the system</i>” you would have to create and level a new character on a NEW account to obtain the benefits.

I would also, in the same sort of example, only allow an Elf to be “Revered” (Best Rep) with EITHER the Dwarves OR the Gnomes and consequently you could only get to a “just about tolerated” Rep with the other Race. This would limit your trading ability with the Realms Merchant NPC’s so that you could only trade in the Fringe societies, meaning that you would have to work to increase your reputation with the other race if the market was more (or less) favourable, but at the same time be decreasing your existing reputation with the currently Revered rep Race/Nationality.

This would create an ebb and flow on the market/ah and could even be affected by the populations of the races so that if there were less Gnomes than Dwarves or Elves the Merchants/AH would give you greater rewards for trading items (ie take a smaller % cut of the profits)

<b>Realm Factions</b> – again lets use Elf/Dwarf and add in Gnomes to the mix.
    <b>OR</b> it could be variable.
    So say Elves have been doing well now the Gnomes and Dwarves decide to go to war against the Elves, putting aside their differences for a time, until the Elves are in the descendant. At this point the Gnomes and Dwarves fall out and perhaps now the Gnomes and Elves band together against the Dwarves. It adds a nice, and slightly unusual, dynamic in RvR.
    I would shy away from having the RvR have any affect on Reputation, and the possibility of affecting the AH dynamic, and probably have a different RvR Rep pool though.

<b>Guild V Guild</b>
    Its not unusual to have Guilds fighting Guilds. But perhaps allowing multiple Guilds to group together against other guilds/guild groups prevents the dynamic of massive guilds ruling everything. Putting a total member cap on the guild group. Lets use for example 1000 people – this could be one guild with 1000 members or 4 Guilds with 250 members each or any combination (i would probably have an automatic “Active” flag in the guild roster if the PChar had logged in within a week and probably some kind of leeway on the 1000 limit – say +/-15%……)
    Guild Leaders can decide who they group with and which guilds/guild groups they can attack.

Guild “<i>Conquest</i>” Areas – Castle/Towns/Villages – separate on the map from other areas i.e. their own maps.

“General” players are allowed into those areas for questing/pvping and selling/basic crafting AS LONG AS they aren’t currently members of one of guilds involved in the GvG battle for that area.

A Guild/G.Group would have to capture ALL the Villages (lets set a lockout on Villages, perhaps 3 days once all have been captured) then ALL Towns (set a lockout on Towns, perhaps 4 days once all have been captured) and ultimately the Castle.
    The lockouts, i.e they cannot be captured by a different Guild/G.Group, prevent a guild from immediately losing control of the Villages, then Towns giving people time to catch a breath etc
    The actual duration of Lockouts would depend on difficulty to capture (ie level/types of NPC’s involved) and quantity of Villages required – so there could be 8 Villages but you are required to have control of 5 of them to “lock”
    Same for Towns – so there could be 5 Towns (which are harder than Villages/better defences more/harder NPC’s) requiring control of 3 to “lock”
    This would create a fairly dynamic situation where other guilds may already have control of the other 3 Village and/or 2 Towns and only require 2 Villages/1 Town more, once they are unlocked (every 3-4 days), to move their progression towards ultimately capturing the castle.

Once a guild has captured the Castle (the hardest of all) then all the members of the Guild/G.Group gain shared access to special crafting stations in the castle for a period of time (lets say a week just for example).

After a week (i was thinking maybe 6 days…. instead….) the Castle reverts back to NPC control which would have to be killed/captured once again to gain access to the Castle along with the other requirements of 5 Villages, 3 Towns before hand.

Now the Guild/G.Group need to decide whether they will maintain the current alliance and re-conquer the area or attack a new area, owned by a different Guild/G.Group, to gain access to the crafting stations or whether to form new alliances.
    No Guild can “own” more than one castle at any time regardless of whether they were in a Guild Group or not.

You could also have some kind of taxation system where a small % of all vendor sales, in a conquered area, are split between the Guild(s) that currently have ownership – this could be used specifically for the purchase of Seige Equipment/Hiring NPC’s to assist in conquering areas (also available to purchase in game but with high costs so that Guilds have to pool cash and/or resources to be able to afford them).

<u><b>Guilds</b></u>
    Personally, i’m a fan of systems that reward guilds and members for pro-active work. Guild hierarchies should be more than just Leader/Office/Members.
    I can’t recall which game it was but I do remember a game whereby your rank was determined by the number of recruits you had recruited.
    So within the guild structure there was a Guild Leader and Officers there was also a ranking system so the more people you had recruited the more benefits you personally received.
    Guild formation would be by purchase of a Guild Charter from an NPC and a minimal requirement of people to sign the charter.

Something like Supreme for the Guild Leader, Officers for the trusted people and then below that you automatically gain the following ranks based upon your work in recruitment:
    Squire – 4 Recruits
    Member (base rank)

Effectively you have a Pyramid Structure of people in the guild below your rank and possibly many different pyramids below a single Guild Leader.
    In effect you could be the Guild Leader but still only a “Recruit” as you only had 3 people in the guild.
    The benefit to being active in recruitment is that you get a small tithe of the value of the gold looted by each person below you.
    The drawback is that if you don’t actively help that person (and their recruits) they may jump ship completely and/or form their own guild.
    For those considering splintering they have a number of issues to consider – discussion with the people below them and whether they would accept the formation of a new guild. Just how many people would actively bring their recruits with them and whether any individuals would simply go back to the original, or a leave and join a new guild entirely.
    Keeps guilds both active and helps prevent many of the issues that exist within guilds in many mmo’s.

<u><b>Combat/Hit Boxes</b></u>

<iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKB29oejyHs” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

New game just in Alpha – from the video it has an interesting take on “Hit Boxes”. Each part of the body has a hit box
    So I guess you could work out total health from, say, Stamina and then assign a percentage to each part of the body so:-
    Total Health – 100%
    Head – 10%
    Body – 52%
    Arms – 7% each (14%)
    Legs – 12% each (24%)
    You could use something similar to those percentages with regards to chance to hit specific areas and would additionally allow for % chance to miss entirely OR hit the next closest part of the body so:-
    Body – 42% chance to hit, 28% chance to miss, 4% chance to hit Head, 22% chance to hit Arms, 4% chance to to hit Legs
    Legs – 24% chance to hit, 50% chance to miss, 15% chance to hit Arms, 11% chance to hit Body

<u><b>Armour</b></u>

You could then assign an Armour Value to each piece of armour – not sure if you intend to have any sort of Encumbrance system in game – but this would allow you to mix pieces of different armour and allow for some amazing customisation of players characters!
    Imagine a sort of Roman Gladiator – where you fight with 1 Hand and Shield, the shield clearly gives a good % of armour to say, Body & Left OR Right Arm + possibly a lesser % to Head and Legs, so you could wear lighter armour on the Shield Arm and Heavier Armour on the Weapon Hand.
    In that example i might wear just Cloth/leather Armour on my Shield Arm, maybe Plate on Chest, Plate on my Weapon Arm and Plate on my Legs and Head.
    Whilst I would be well protected when I was expecting combat, eg have my Sword and Shield out ready, if I was just running around I would normally have those items Sheathed/Stowed so I could be susceptible to unexpected Ranged attacks, if they happen to hit my Shield Arm and damage it enough I wouldn’t be able to equip my shield and would have to fight with only my 1 Hand Weapon.
    However, say I intended to mostly be a ranged type character I might wear a Plate/Heavy Chest piece but then wear all light armour (or a mix of mostly light with some medium armour pieces) everywhere else cos my accuracy isn’t degraded by the same amount as Heavy types.

<u>Heavy</i></u> – Kasten-brust, Plate + Light Armour (under shirts),
    <u><i>Medium</i> Heavy</u> – Plate, Metal Scale (Lamellar),
    <u><i>Light</i> Heavy</u> – Brigandine, Jazerant, Wooden Scale (Lamellar)
    <u>Medium – Ring Mail, Cour Bouilli,
    <u><i>Light</i> Medium</u> – Studded Leather, Leather Scale (Lamellar)
    <u><i>Medium</i> Light</u> – Medium Leather, Quilted Cloth
    <u>Light Armour</u> – Cloth (Hemp/Flax/Silk)

Armour Components

Armour can be an amazing part of the game if designed well, regardless of decisions regarding Hit Boxes, character customisation is really important to probably 90% of the market as it allows for <b>individuality</b> and by having separate pieces of armour it opens up;
    Crafting Options – armour types, pieces, Dyes for Cloth/Leather Armour, Dyes for face/body painting!!, the decision about the types of metal scales you use (Copper/Bronze/Iron,Steel, maybe aluminium, PLUS unique mats – Mithril, Adamantium etc etc), plus you could add a component to blacksmithing that allows you to make metal armours/weapons that are different colours (endless lists….)

<u><b>Armour Factors</b></u>

<u>Plate</u>
    Might be good against Swords in general but bad against Rapiers/Sabres (if you have the skill to use them ACCURATELY)
    but bad against Bludgeoning attacks, 1H Maces, 1H Morningstars, 2 Handed Swords/Axes/Maces, good against Ranged Weapons in general but bad against certain specialty Arrows, perhaps bad against Crossbows @ close range but ok at medium to long range, good against Short Bows in general (excepting specialty arrows) but bad against Long Bows @ all ranges…… again the list of decisions is mind melting!
    <u>Medium</u>
    <u>Light</u>
    The benefits/drawbacks would differ depending on what it was but in general would be better against Bludgeoning and poor against piercing/slashing

<u><b>Combat Factors</b></u>

Weapon Types

You could have some sort of Accuracy ability, starts at 0% but as you level up/progress you can increase it for different types of weapons, allowing the unlocking of use of more specialised weapons as you progress.
    So everyone would be able to pick up a Staff/Club/Sword/Axe/Mace/Dagger/Bow/Basic Crossbow but as your skill progressed you would unlock Different Types of those Weapons – Batleth (Bladed Staff), Flail (Split Staff linked with chain to another smaller piece of wood/metal), Rapier, Sabre, Morning Star (type of mace linked by chain to spiked ball), Nun-Chucks, Short Bow, Long Bow, Recurve Bow, Compound Bow (Short/Recurve/Long), Cross Bow with enhanced Range/faster reload times (Crossbow Reload Mechanisms), Repeating Crossbow, Arbalest (this is an extra large Xbow with a stand that is used to support the weight – has long range + higher damage but is VERY slow to reload and weighs ALOT!)

<u><b>Encumbrance</b></u>

Adding an Encumbrance/Weight system would allow for decisions to be made by the player:
    All/Mostly Heavy Armour is great for Damage protection but bad for Run Speed and/or Endurance
    Light Armour allows for faster Run Speed, perhaps better accuracy with Ranged Weapons
    Wearing heavy armour on the arms might reduce your accuracy with all weapons (cos its heavier) but have less impact on Body/Legs
    But wearing heavy leg armour might just affect your run speed (along with general weight/encumbrance performance affects)
    Wearing a heavy helmet might also affect your accuracy but only with Ranged Weapons perhaps due to, typical, visibility loss.

Snowpelt
    Keymaster

Hey Magician,

Thanks for taking the time to write all this up! The first post actually looks better to me than the second one. Is it not the same for you? I am going to leave them both here while we test things if that’s ok with you!

magician2905
    Participant

yeah agreed 1st post still looks better despite me inserting html tags seems they dont work with the WordPress your using. (sad face)

magician2905
    Participant

Talents/Skills
    Interesting take on Talent Trees/Skill/Stat Point gains
    <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/v=fVKiLhDiZKM?feature=player_embedded” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  magician2905.

magician2905
    Participant

Just an FYI – perhaps enabling/allowing some sort of preview!

magician2905
    Participant

**Note** Please delete the first post there were lots of html errors (your wordpress uses some strange codes for things like Bold/Italics/Links by default – tidied them up in Notepad++ so they should all read ok, I hope) **
    <br>
    <br>
    Open World PVP
    <br>
    Serial ganking, which Open World PVP mostly encourages (and rarely are there checks in place to discourage it) is such a turn off for many people that it will inevitably disrupt the enjoyment of the game you designed and ultimately will drive them away (or prevent them from even bothering to play)!
    <br>
    Possible solutions:
    <br>
    1) PVP NPC’s in Towns – so you visit the NPC to be flagged for PVP across the entire world – this is attractive as it opens up the game to both PVP and PVE players and allows both to get the enjoyment they anticipated/expected, plus if you want to PVP you can simply Flag yourself and then Unflag if you have had enough.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    4) Some kind of debuff if you kill players below a certain threshold: i.e. if you kill someone 5 lvls below you are Kill on Sight to all NPC’s for 1-5hours (IN GAME play time), 10 lvls below 3-7 hrs, etc etc reason for IN GAME TIME is to prevent people from simply logging out to wind down the timers whilst offline.
    <br>
    PVP Types
    Factions – Race(Nationalities)/Realm/Guild – allows for strong PVP elements to be designed initially but also allows for good game play elements.
    <br>
    Racial (National) Factions
    <br>

• Main Dwarf City Merchant – 10% Cut, 90% Profit
    • Outer City Dwarf Merchant – 15% Cut, 85% Profit
    • Fringe City Dwarf Merchant – 20% Cut, 80% Profit

• Elf Main City (for ELF) – 40% Cut, 60% Profit
    • Elf Outer City (for ELF) – 30% Cut, 70% Profit
    • Elf Fringe City (For ELF) – 25% Cut, 75% Profit

<br>
    a) I would probably build in a Race and Rep lockout though.
    <br>
    This prevents people from creating Trading Toons/Bots that bypass the system to obtain increased rewards. So if you create a new character it automatically gains the familial Reputation towards other races/nationalities. If you REALLY, REALLY want to “game the system” you would have to create and level a new character on a NEW account to obtain the benefits.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Realm Vs Realm
    <br>
    Again lets use Elf/Dwarf and add in Gnomes to the mix.
    OR it could be variable.
    This would also, possibly, help with inconsistencies in race populations (along with the benefits to Merchants/AH discussed perviously).
    <br>
    a)I would shy away from having the RvR have any affect on Reputation, and the possibility of affecting the AH dynamic, and probably have a different RvR Rep pool though.
    <br>
    Guild Vs Guild
    <br>
    <br>
    Guild “Conquest” Areas – Castle/Towns/Villages – separate on the map from other areas i.e. their own maps.
    <br>
    “General” players are allowed into those areas for questing/pvping and selling/basic crafting AS LONG AS they aren’t currently members of one of guilds involved in the GvG battle for that area.
    <br>
    A Guild/G.Group would have to capture ALL the Villages (lets set a lockout on Villages, perhaps 3 days once all have been captured) then ALL the Towns (set a lockout on Towns, perhaps 4 days once all have been captured) and ultimately the Castle
    The lockouts, i.e they cannot be captured by a different Guild/G.Group, prevent a guild from immediately losing control of the Villages, then Towns giving people time to catch a breath etc
    <br>
    The actual duration of Lockouts would depend on difficulty to capture (ie level/types of NPC’s involved) and quantity of Villages required – so there could be 8 Villages but you are required to have control of 5 of them to “lock”
    Same for Towns – so there could be 5 Towns (which are harder than Villages/better defences more/harder NPC’s) requiring control of 3 to “lock”
    <br>
    This would create a fairly dynamic situation where other guilds may already have control of the other 3 Village and/or 2 Towns and only require 2 Villages/1 Town more, once they are unlocked (every 3-4 days), to move their progression towards ultimately capturing the castle.
    <br>
    Once a guild has captured the Castle (the hardest of all) then all the members of the Guild/G.Group gain shared access to special crafting stations in the castle for a period of time (lets say a week just for example).
    <br>
    After a week (I was thinking maybe 6 days…. instead….) the Castle reverts back to NPC control which would have to be killed/captured once again to gain access to the Castle along with the other requirements of 5 Villages, 3 Towns before hand.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Guild/Realm Areas
    <br>
    I was thinking along the lines of 1 Guild “Area” per Race, or Group of Races, and then a single Realm Area (sort of depends on how many races you start with though). This would create a decision/competition between guilds whether to focus, at a particular time, on going for Guild Benefits or getting involved in Realm v Realm combat.
    <br>
    Guilds
    <br>
    <br>

• Satrap King – 4 Captains (X people)
    • Captain – 4 Knights (X people)
    • Knights – 4 Squires (X people)
    • Squire – 4 Recruits
    • Recruit – 3 or less Member’s recruited
    • Member (base rank)

<br>
    Effectively you have a Pyramid Structure of people in the guild below your rank and possibly many different pyramids below a single Guild Leader.
    <br>
    Combat/Hit Boxes
    <br>
    <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/RKB29oejyHs?feature=player_embedded” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <br>
    So I guess you could work out total health from, say, Stamina and then assign a percentage to each part of the body so:-

• Total Health – 100%
    • Head – 10%
    • Body – 52%
    • Arms – 7% each (14%)
    • Legs – 12% each (24%)

<br>

• Head – 10% chance to hit, 60% chance to miss, 30% chance to hit Body instead
    • Body – 42% chance to hit, 28% chance to miss, 4% chance to hit Head, 22% chance to hit Arms, 4% chance to to hit Legs
    • Legs – 24% chance to hit, 50% chance to miss, 15% chance to hit Arms, 11% chance to hit Body

<br>
    Armour
    <br>
    <br>

• Heavy – Kasten-brust, Plate + Light Armour (under shirts)
    • Medium Heavy – Plate, Metal Scale (Lamellar)
    • Light Heavy – Brigandine, Jazerant, Wooden Scale (Lamellar)
    • Medium – Ring Mail, Cour Bouilli
    • Light Medium – Studded Leather, Leather Scale (Lamellar)
    • Medium Light – Medium Leather, Quilted Cloth
    • Light Armour – Cloth (Hemp/Flax/Silk)

<br>
    Armour Components
    <br>
    Armour can be an amazing part of the game if designed well, regardless of decisions regarding Hit Boxes, character customisation is really important to probably 90% of the market as it allows for individuality and by having separate pieces of armour it opens up;
    <br>
    Armour Factors
    <br>

• Plate
    • Might be good against Swords in general but bad against Rapiers/Sabres (if you have the skill to use them ACCURATELY)
    • But bad against Bludgeoning attacks, 1H Maces, 1H Morningstars, 2 Handed Swords/Axes/Maces, good against Ranged Weapons in general but bad against certain specialty Arrows, perhaps bad against Crossbows @ close range but ok at medium to long range, good against Short Bows in general (excepting specialty arrows) but bad against Long Bows @ all ranges…… again the list of decisions is mind melting!
    • Medium
    • The benefits/drawbacks would differ depending on what it was specifically
  • Light
  • The benefits/drawbacks would differ depending on what it was but in general would be better against Bludgeoning and poor against piercing/slashing
  • <br>
    Combat Factors
    <br>
    Weapon Types
    <br>
    <br>
    So everyone would be able to pick up a Staff/Club/Sword/Axe/Mace/Dagger/Bow/Basic Crossbow but as your skill progressed you would unlock Different Types of those Weapons:

• Staffs – Batleth (Bladed Staff), Flail (Split Staff linked with chain to another smaller piece of wood/metal)
    • Swords – Rapier, Sabre
    • Maces – Morning Star (type of mace linked by chain to spiked ball), Nun-Chucks
    • Bows – Short Bow, Long Bow, Recurve Bow, Compound Bow (Short/Recurve/Long)
    • Crossbows – Cross Bow with enhanced Range/faster reload times (Crossbow Reload Mechanisms), Repeating Crossbow, Arbalest (this is an extra large Xbow with a stand that is used to support the weight – has long range + higher damage but is VERY slow to reload and weighs ALOT!)

<br>
    <br>
    Crown Control
    <br>
    There is nothing worse in ANY GAME than NOT being able to control your character due to chain stuns/roots/etc. It completely takes the skill out of the game and is infuriating as hell!
    <br>
    You will need to ensure there are mitigation/diminishing returns which actually work!!!!
    <br>
    In addition to “break out” mechanics available to all classes.
    <br>
    Stealth
    <br>
    Stealth is another of “those” factors which can break a game/ruin the enjoyment.
    <br>
    I guess the best way to deal with Stealth is have some sort of resource which can be improved for longer periods of stealth but which also means you have to make a decision to trade off against other factors e.g. damage
    <br>
    Using the example of Path of Exile (linked further down) I would put Stealth either as a polar opposite to damage, with no cross over, or put incremental increases in say the Dexterity line with big increases at the end of the chain(s).
    <br>
    AoE
    <br>
    One of the major flaws Warhammer Online had for a very long time was the fact that Bright Wizards AoE spells didn’t show up in game for the attacking players. So they simply couldn’t see that they were standing in a “Rain of Fire”.
    <br>
    So again must be handled with care.
    <br>
    Line of Sight
    <br>
    LoS issues are also major issues for games – again Warhammer was very bad with this for a long time but has also affected many other games
    <br>
    Encumbrance
    <br>
    <br>

• 1) All/Mostly Heavy Armour is great for Damage protection but bad for Run Speed and/or Endurance
    • 2) Medium Armour gives a balance to all things
  • 3) Light Armour allows for faster Run Speed, perhaps better accuracy with Ranged Weapons
  • <br>

• i) Wearing heavy armour on the arms might reduce your accuracy with all weapons (cos its heavier) but have less impact on Body/Legs
    • ii) But wearing heavy leg armour might just affect your run speed (along with general weight/encumbrance performance affects)
    • iii) Wearing a heavy helmet might also affect your accuracy but only with Ranged Weapons perhaps due to, typical, visibility loss.

<br>
    Talents/Skills/Stats
    <br>
    Pretty cool design for Talents etc.
    Ties in quite nicely with the already suggested post level cap systems already mentioned as both the Rift “Planar Attunement” and ESO “Champion System” could be easily adapted to introduce a new/interesting design element to a character’s build.
    <br>
    <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/fVKiLhDiZKM?feature=player_embedded” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <br>

Snowpelt
Keymaster

I think HTML is restricted by user type… let me repost your second post and see what happens.

It’s on page 2.. looks better onther than the iframe in the middle for the youtube video. Will keep working!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Snowpelt.
  • Author

Snowpelt
    Keymaster

Posted here for reference!
    Just a quick bio – Asheron’ Call (didn’t play EQ), switched to the beleaguered AC2 when it came out – was such a shame cos all they really had to do was update AC with the graphics engine of AC2 with some other revamps and they would have had a sure fire winner! I guess selling the AC franchise to Microsoft (i think) was probably a bad idea but im sure there were many factors involved not least a big cash injection to allow them to develop/recover costs for AC2.
    Pretty much every mmo since then;
    WoW – Beta tested and played for many many years, just recently quit playing again (WoD) – game just feels stale and grindy once again after a few months.
    AoC Beta and played for a while but post release gave up as the open PVP ganking just ruined the game totally (its totally pointless to try and play a game where toons 10-40 lvls higher than me are just chain ganking)
    TSW was pretty fun for a while, some of the puzzles requiring REALLY REALLY deep thought and investigation were and still are epic!
    ESO, ~kinda~ meh…. balance issues kinda ruined it from launch – plus odd style of combat….heading back to check it out this Tues/Weds when it goes B2P to see if they have addressed the issues (still undecided whether they pulled it off – although the skill morphing system is pretty interesting).
    Neverwinter disappointing from a “dyed in the wool old school pen & paper D&D fanboy” along with D&D Online
    LOTRO – probably one of the most beautiful in game “vista’s” ever!
    Archeage – complete FUBAR over botting/hacking/exploits and totally ridiculous crafting system – it has its good points in places but requiring me to grind for mats for 2 months to get gear is just poor time Vs reward implementation.
    GW1 – wasn’t for me – GW2 enjoyed it but too many bugs post release remained for far too long, but still have a fondness for it.
    Firefall (scifi mmorpg/fps) longest ever Beta and most radically changed game I have ever seen from one iteration to another. Seems they may be on the right track finally but only time will tell.
    Warhammer Online – omg NEVER let the lead designer be able to play a single class – Bright Wizard (lead developers fave class) ruined the game from the get go, followed by Warrior Priest.

Rift – played beta and from launch – hit max level 14 days after start (took my time to clear the whole map on first run through) lasted maybe 5 months then quit playing. Went back beginning of 2014 and had tonnes of fun for few more months – kinda like the fact that each class has the option of all roles Tank/Heal/Support/DPS keeps the classes more readily balanced and gives you the option to play each role if required.
    There are lots of others im sure i missed.
    Lessons learned:
    1) DO NOT build a game where the time to max level is LESS THAN 2-3MONTHS or your gonna loose people quickly and also from the inevitable grind post cap.
    Plus your making life difficult for yourselves if you do cos its much harder to inject the new “Fresh” feeling back into the game once you have capped.
    2) Have a plan already in place to address the issue of max level Vs grind once at cap
    Rift’s Planar Attunement System and ESO’s Champion System are pretty good post lvl cap methods to add more interest and less grind.

Dailies are NOT a rewarding system, but can be a functional system if implemented in different stages – see point (7)
    3) Get the class balance as close to perfect FROM THE START, your game and developer life will be immeasurably simpler and generally better if you can!
    Good things to avoid are the Bright Wizard and Warrior Priest situations experienced in Warhammer Online, which despite there being “opposite” classes for the other faction never got close in reality to same level of paucity.
    Great article here:
    http://www.alteredgamer.com/warhammer-online/44427-what-went-wrong-with-is-it-a-failure/
    The upshot being that IF YOU CAN’T balance classes under the “Class Mirror” system just fall back to a single set of classes available to everyone, you can always add more classes to the game from the start or later post release…..
    The Holy Trinity of Tank/Heal/DPS should really be expanded to include true support classes and/or support/buff/debuff classes – so a Holy Quartet or Holy Quintet….
    4) Time Vs reward – if it takes sooooo long to get/craft something that it isn’t fun, it isn’t a winning formula!
    eg. WoW epic ring upgrade takes 900 Runes which takes something like 4-8 weeks to get depending on your raiding level (more time if your lower level raiding Vs less time if your more geared and raiding @ HC/Mythic levels). BUT its possible to RNG random loot that makes this obsolete or at least a diminishing reward if your raiding at those levels anyway…..
    5) Quests, try and script quests so that they HAVE to be READ/Listened too – it makes the game more engaging. Many ppl may disagree but in my experience people don’t really KNOW what they want.
    Making quests circuitous and requiring many steps IS actually fun and ultimately rewarding, adding in a crafting quest/requirement like having someone craft it or having to unlock a part of an instance to get to the crafting station required to make it is also fantastic.
    Avoid instanced quests as much as possible – ESO for example is terrible @ this!
    6) Crafting should be a primary asset and not a tertiary thought to any class.
    Community gathering/harvesting is GREAT!
    Separate gear load outs for Adventuring/Crafting/Gathering is nice too!

7) Zones – no one like a dead town, make your game so that there are reasons to continually revisit zones which were traditionally LOWER LEVEL
    For example make low level towns/zones have content which only unlocks @ higher level tiers so that there is a continual influx of people into that area for different reasons.
    Whether that is instances, unique events or perhaps new dailies or Reputation quests unlocked @ higher tiers.
    8) DO NOT, EVER EVER!!, allow client side services run game critical elements or you will create a hack to win game – ArcheAge – if in doubt make it server side.
    9) Combat, its really, REALLY HARD to come up with new combat ideas. Tab targeting is pretty old hat, but tried and tested and game mechanics are much easier to calculate off of this.
    Something like Darkfall is much more complicated, not necessarily less rewarding, but the FPS is likely a barrier to many people deciding to play the game.
    10) PVP – is insanely hard to balance.
    Biggest issues are:
    Balance
    Stealth
    Crowd Control/Stuns/Roots etc
    Blocking
    Immunities
    Gearing
    11) Instances, fixed mechanics on bosses is kinda tiresome. Do this when X does that repeat, repeat etc etc etc – introducing some randomness to the encounters would be a breath of fresh air! Maybe a pool of abilities with some linked to others which can randomly occur during a fight would keep players on their toes and keep it fun cos your never quite sure what order things are going to happen.
    The “proving grounds” introduced in WoW WoD are very good, mostly keeps complete idiots out of your individual game, so your game play time is generally more fun. Could be expanded to different tiers or difficulties of dungeons/raids.
    I get the Utherous name but agree with some of the other guys comments – searching Utherous is just BAD!
    Sorry for the insanely long post, hope there are some useful points in there for you guys

magician2905
    Participant

Hey, good afternoon!!
    Just a fyi – even after you log in it still looks like you need to log in – i.e. there is no on screen notification that you are actually logged in just says “Log In/Register” in top right.
    Think i prolly logged in twice before i realised that

magician2905
    Participant

Guessing you have some sort of moderation before posts show up (least i hope that’s what it is) cos my hello post isnt showing, but if i go back a couple of pages its says i replied to the original post….

Snowpelt
    Keymaster

Welcome Magician and thanks for working with us!

I should have the Welcome! XXXXX/Log out. conditional based on log in status up and running tonight 🙂

I see the same thing with the posting. I will take a look and see if there’s a box that needs to be unchecked!

Snowpelt
    Keymaster

It looks like it may be a cacheing issue. Logging out and back in seems to fix it..

This is a test post 🙂

magician2905
    Participant

Open World PVP

Serial ganking is such a turn off for many people that it will inevitably disrupt the enjoyment of the game you designed and ultimately will drive them away (or prevent them from even bothering to play)!

Possible solutions:

1) PVP NPC’s in Towns – so you visit the NPC to be flagged for PVP across the entire world – this is attractive as it opens up the game to both PVP and PVE players and allows both to get the enjoyment they anticpated/expected, plus if you want to PVP you can simply Flag yourself and then Unflag if you have had enough.
    5) Factions – Race(Nationalities)/Realm/Guild – allows for strong PVP elements to be designed initially but also allows for good game play elements.

Realm Factions – again lets use Elf/Dwarf and add in Gnomes to the mix.
    OR it could be variable.

Guild V Guild
    Guild Housing Areas – Castle/Towns/Villages – separate on the map from other areas i.e. their own maps.
    “General” players are allowed into those areas for questing/pvping and selling/basic crafting AS LONG AS they aren’t currently involved in a GvG that includes one (or more) of the guilds that own those current locations.
    A Guild/G.Group would have to capture ALL the Villages then ALL Towns and ultimately the Castle then all the members of the Guild/G.Group gain shared access to special crafting stations in the castle for a period of time (lets say a week just for example).
    Guilds/G.Groups would naturally attempt to conquer the villages/towns/castle to gain access creating a pretty hectic GvG scenario.
    After a week, assuming they are not captured by a different Guild/G.Group those Villages/Towns and Castle become neutral again and are re-populated with Neutral NPC’s which would have to be killed/captured once again to gain access to the Castle.

Guilds

Squire – 4 Recruits
    Member (base rank)
    So you have a Pyramid Structure of people in the guild below you rank and possibly many different pyramids below a single Guild Leader.

Combat/Hit Boxes

So i guess you could work out total health from, say, Stamina and then assign a percentage to each part of the body so:-
    Total Health – 100%
    Head – 10%
    Body – 52%
    Arms – 7% each (14%)
    Legs – 12% each (24%)

Armour

Heavy

– Kasten-brust, Plate + Light Armour (under shirts),

Medium Heavy

– Plate, Metal Scale (Lamellar),

Light Heavy

– Brigandine, Jazerant, Wooden Scale (Lamellar)

Medium

– Ring Mail, Cour Bouilli,

Light Medium

– Studded Leather, Leather Scale (Lamellar)

Medium Light

– Medium Leather, Quilted Cloth

Light Armour

– Cloth (Hemp/Flax/Silk)

Armour Factors

Plate

Medium

Light

Combat Factors

So everyone would be able to pick up a Staff/Club/Sword/Axe/Mace/Dagger/Bow/Basic Crossbow but as your skill progressed you would unlock Different Types of those Weapons – Batleth (Bladed Staff), Flail (Split Staff linked with chain to another smaller piece of wood/metal), Rapier, Sabre, Morning Star (type of mace linked by chain to spiked ball), Nun-Chucks, Short Bow, Long Bow, Recurve Bow, Compound Bow (Short/Recurve/Long), Cross Bow with enhanced Range/faster reload times (from reload mechanisms), Repeating Crossbow, Arbalest (this is an extra large Xbow with a stand that is used to support the weight – has long range + higher damage but is VERY slow to reload and weighs ALOT!)

Encumbrance

If you want any more ideas/thoughts just say so – hopefully there are some good items in there to help you………

magician2905
    Participant

Yeah all seems to be good now – posts showing up “mostly” ok sorry for the weird formatting……………….

magician2905
    Participant

Seems Italics in the format section is defaulting to <.em> and <./em> rather than <.i> ignore the dots!

magician2905
    Participant

<b><u>Open World PVP</u></b>
    Serial ganking, which Open World PVP mostly encourages (and <b><u>rarely</b></u> are there checks in place to discourage it) is such a turn off for many people that it will inevitably disrupt the enjoyment of the game you designed and ultimately will drive them away (or prevent them from even bothering to play)!

Possible solutions:

4) Some kind of debuff if you kill players below a certain threshold: i.e. if you kill someone 5 lvls below you are Kill on Sight to all NPC’s for 1-5hours (<b>IN GAME play time</b>), 10 lvls below 3-7 hrs, etc etc reason for <i>IN GAME TIME</i> is to prevent people from simply logging out to wind down the timers whilst offline.

<b><u>PVP Types</u></b>

<b>Racial (National) Factions</b>

This prevents people from creating Trading Toons/Bots that bypass the system to obtain increased rewards. So if you create a new character it automatically gains the familial Reputation towards other races/nationalities. If you REALLY, REALLY want to “<i>game the system</i>” you would have to create and level a new character on a NEW account to obtain the benefits.

<b>Realm Factions</b> – again lets use Elf/Dwarf and add in Gnomes to the mix.
    <b>OR</b> it could be variable.

<b>Guild V Guild</b>

Guild “<i>Conquest</i>” Areas – Castle/Towns/Villages – separate on the map from other areas i.e. their own maps.

A Guild/G.Group would have to capture ALL the Villages (lets set a lockout on Villages, perhaps 3 days once all have been captured) then ALL Towns (set a lockout on Towns, perhaps 4 days once all have been captured) and ultimately the Castle.

After a week (i was thinking maybe 6 days…. instead….) the Castle reverts back to NPC control which would have to be killed/captured once again to gain access to the Castle along with the other requirements of 5 Villages, 3 Towns before hand.

<u><b>Guilds</b></u>

Squire – 4 Recruits
    Member (base rank)

<u><b>Combat/Hit Boxes</b></u>

<iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKB29oejyHs” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

Total Health – 100%
    Head – 10%
    Body – 52%
    Arms – 7% each (14%)
    Legs – 12% each (24%)

<u><b>Armour</b></u>

<u>Heavy</i></u> – Kasten-brust, Plate + Light Armour (under shirts),
    <u><i>Medium</i> Heavy</u> – Plate, Metal Scale (Lamellar),
    <u><i>Light</i> Heavy</u> – Brigandine, Jazerant, Wooden Scale (Lamellar)
    <u>Medium – Ring Mail, Cour Bouilli,
    <u><i>Light</i> Medium</u> – Studded Leather, Leather Scale (Lamellar)
    <u><i>Medium</i> Light</u> – Medium Leather, Quilted Cloth
    <u>Light Armour</u> – Cloth (Hemp/Flax/Silk)

Armour Components

Armour can be an amazing part of the game if designed well, regardless of decisions regarding Hit Boxes, character customisation is really important to probably 90% of the market as it allows for <b>individuality</b> and by having separate pieces of armour it opens up;

<u><b>Armour Factors</b></u>

<u>Plate</u>
    <u>Medium</u>
    <u>Light</u>

<u><b>Combat Factors</b></u>

Weapon Types

So everyone would be able to pick up a Staff/Club/Sword/Axe/Mace/Dagger/Bow/Basic Crossbow but as your skill progressed you would unlock Different Types of those Weapons – Batleth (Bladed Staff), Flail (Split Staff linked with chain to another smaller piece of wood/metal), Rapier, Sabre, Morning Star (type of mace linked by chain to spiked ball), Nun-Chucks, Short Bow, Long Bow, Recurve Bow, Compound Bow (Short/Recurve/Long), Cross Bow with enhanced Range/faster reload times (Crossbow Reload Mechanisms), Repeating Crossbow, Arbalest (this is an extra large Xbow with a stand that is used to support the weight – has long range + higher damage but is VERY slow to reload and weighs ALOT!)

<u><b>Encumbrance</b></u>

Snowpelt
    Keymaster

Hey Magician,

Thanks for taking the time to write all this up! The first post actually looks better to me than the second one. Is it not the same for you? I am going to leave them both here while we test things if that’s ok with you!

magician2905
    Participant

yeah agreed 1st post still looks better despite me inserting html tags seems they dont work with the WordPress your using. (sad face)

magician2905
    Participant

Talents/Skills
    Interesting take on Talent Trees/Skill/Stat Point gains
    <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/v=fVKiLhDiZKM?feature=player_embedded” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

magician2905
    Participant

Just an FYI – perhaps enabling/allowing some sort of preview!

magician2905
    Participant

<br>
    <br>
    Open World PVP
    <br>
    Serial ganking, which Open World PVP mostly encourages (and rarely are there checks in place to discourage it) is such a turn off for many people that it will inevitably disrupt the enjoyment of the game you designed and ultimately will drive them away (or prevent them from even bothering to play)!
    <br>
    Possible solutions:
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    PVP Types
    <br>
    Racial (National) Factions
    <br>

• Main Dwarf City Merchant – 10% Cut, 90% Profit
    • Outer City Dwarf Merchant – 15% Cut, 85% Profit
    • Fringe City Dwarf Merchant – 20% Cut, 80% Profit

• Elf Main City (for ELF) – 40% Cut, 60% Profit
    • Elf Outer City (for ELF) – 30% Cut, 70% Profit
    • Elf Fringe City (For ELF) – 25% Cut, 75% Profit

<br>
    a) I would probably build in a Race and Rep lockout though.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Realm Vs Realm
    <br>
    Again lets use Elf/Dwarf and add in Gnomes to the mix.
    OR it could be variable.
    This would also, possibly, help with inconsistencies in race populations (along with the benefits to Merchants/AH discussed perviously).
    <br>
    a)I would shy away from having the RvR have any affect on Reputation, and the possibility of affecting the AH dynamic, and probably have a different RvR Rep pool though.
    <br>
    Guild Vs Guild
    <br>
    <br>
    Guild “Conquest” Areas – Castle/Towns/Villages – separate on the map from other areas i.e. their own maps.
    <br>
    <br>
    A Guild/G.Group would have to capture ALL the Villages (lets set a lockout on Villages, perhaps 3 days once all have been captured) then ALL the Towns (set a lockout on Towns, perhaps 4 days once all have been captured) and ultimately the Castle
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    After a week (I was thinking maybe 6 days…. instead….) the Castle reverts back to NPC control which would have to be killed/captured once again to gain access to the Castle along with the other requirements of 5 Villages, 3 Towns before hand.
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Guild/Realm Areas
    <br>
    I was thinking along the lines of 1 Guild “Area” per Race, or Group of Races, and then a single Realm Area (sort of depends on how many races you start with though). This would create a decision/competition between guilds whether to focus, at a particular time, on going for Guild Benefits or getting involved in Realm v Realm combat.
    <br>
    Guilds
    <br>
    <br>

• Satrap King – 4 Captains (X people)
    • Captain – 4 Knights (X people)
    • Knights – 4 Squires (X people)
    • Squire – 4 Recruits
    • Recruit – 3 or less Member’s recruited
    • Member (base rank)

<br>
    <br>
    Combat/Hit Boxes
    <br>
    <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/RKB29oejyHs?feature=player_embedded” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <br>

• Total Health – 100%
    • Head – 10%
    • Body – 52%
    • Arms – 7% each (14%)
    • Legs – 12% each (24%)

<br>

• Head – 10% chance to hit, 60% chance to miss, 30% chance to hit Body instead
    • Body – 42% chance to hit, 28% chance to miss, 4% chance to hit Head, 22% chance to hit Arms, 4% chance to to hit Legs
    • Legs – 24% chance to hit, 50% chance to miss, 15% chance to hit Arms, 11% chance to hit Body

<br>
    Armour
    <br>
    <br>

• Heavy – Kasten-brust, Plate + Light Armour (under shirts)
    • Medium Heavy – Plate, Metal Scale (Lamellar)
    • Light Heavy – Brigandine, Jazerant, Wooden Scale (Lamellar)
    • Medium – Ring Mail, Cour Bouilli
    • Light Medium – Studded Leather, Leather Scale (Lamellar)
    • Medium Light – Medium Leather, Quilted Cloth
    • Light Armour – Cloth (Hemp/Flax/Silk)

<br>
    Armour Components
    <br>
    <br>
    Armour Factors
    <br>

• Plate
    • Might be good against Swords in general but bad against Rapiers/Sabres (if you have the skill to use them ACCURATELY)
    • But bad against Bludgeoning attacks, 1H Maces, 1H Morningstars, 2 Handed Swords/Axes/Maces, good against Ranged Weapons in general but bad against certain specialty Arrows, perhaps bad against Crossbows @ close range but ok at medium to long range, good against Short Bows in general (excepting specialty arrows) but bad against Long Bows @ all ranges…… again the list of decisions is mind melting!
    • Medium
    • The benefits/drawbacks would differ depending on what it was specifically
  • Light
  • The benefits/drawbacks would differ depending on what it was but in general would be better against Bludgeoning and poor against piercing/slashing
  • <br>
    Combat Factors
    <br>
    Weapon Types
    <br>
    <br>
    So everyone would be able to pick up a Staff/Club/Sword/Axe/Mace/Dagger/Bow/Basic Crossbow but as your skill progressed you would unlock Different Types of those Weapons:

• Staffs – Batleth (Bladed Staff), Flail (Split Staff linked with chain to another smaller piece of wood/metal)
    • Swords – Rapier, Sabre
    • Maces – Morning Star (type of mace linked by chain to spiked ball), Nun-Chucks
    • Bows – Short Bow, Long Bow, Recurve Bow, Compound Bow (Short/Recurve/Long)
    • Crossbows – Cross Bow with enhanced Range/faster reload times (Crossbow Reload Mechanisms), Repeating Crossbow, Arbalest (this is an extra large Xbow with a stand that is used to support the weight – has long range + higher damage but is VERY slow to reload and weighs ALOT!)

<br>
    <br>
    Crown Control
    <br>
    There is nothing worse in ANY GAME than NOT being able to control your character due to chain stuns/roots/etc. It completely takes the skill out of the game and is infuriating as hell!
    <br>
    You will need to ensure there are mitigation/diminishing returns which actually work!!!!
    <br>
    In addition to “break out” mechanics available to all classes.
    <br>
    Stealth
    <br>
    Stealth is another of “those” factors which can break a game/ruin the enjoyment.
    <br>
    I guess the best way to deal with Stealth is have some sort of resource which can be improved for longer periods of stealth but which also means you have to make a decision to trade off against other factors e.g. damage
    <br>
    Using the example of Path of Exile (linked further down) I would put Stealth either as a polar opposite to damage, with no cross over, or put incremental increases in say the Dexterity line with big increases at the end of the chain(s).
    <br>
    AoE
    <br>
    One of the major flaws Warhammer Online had for a very long time was the fact that Bright Wizards AoE spells didn’t show up in game for the attacking players. So they simply couldn’t see that they were standing in a “Rain of Fire”.
    <br>
    So again must be handled with care.
    <br>
    Line of Sight
    <br>
    LoS issues are also major issues for games – again Warhammer was very bad with this for a long time but has also affected many other games
    <br>
    Encumbrance
    <br>
    <br>

• 1) All/Mostly Heavy Armour is great for Damage protection but bad for Run Speed and/or Endurance
    • 2) Medium Armour gives a balance to all things
  • 3) Light Armour allows for faster Run Speed, perhaps better accuracy with Ranged Weapons
  • <br>

• i) Wearing heavy armour on the arms might reduce your accuracy with all weapons (cos its heavier) but have less impact on Body/Legs
    • ii) But wearing heavy leg armour might just affect your run speed (along with general weight/encumbrance performance affects)
    • iii) Wearing a heavy helmet might also affect your accuracy but only with Ranged Weapons perhaps due to, typical, visibility loss.

<br>
    Talents/Skills/Stats
    <br>
    Pretty cool design for Talents etc.
    Ties in quite nicely with the already suggested post level cap systems already mentioned as both the Rift “Planar Attunement” and ESO “Champion System” could be easily adapted to introduce a new/interesting design element to a character’s build.
    <br>
    <iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/fVKiLhDiZKM?feature=player_embedded” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <br>

Snowpelt
Keymaster

I think HTML is restricted by user type… let me repost your second post and see what happens.

It’s on page 2.. looks better onther than the iframe in the middle for the youtube video. Will keep working!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Snowpelt.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.